Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It’s the Questions That Count

For a man’s ways are in full view of the Lord, and he examines all his paths. Pr 5:21

As we move through life, doctors and students with overwhelming schedules, fully committed to many good things, we sometimes lose sight of the road that we, as Christians, had once planned to travel. In my life as a doctor, I have often found the best signposts to be questions that, once answered, tell me if I am on the right road.

How have I divided my life between church, family and practice?
How is my devotional life?
How have I divided my money? How much is enough for me and my family?
How am I telling my patients about God’s love?
How am I telling my colleagues about God’s love?
How am I serving the poor, the medically deprived, and the underserved?
How well have I protected myself against sexual infidelity?
How well have I protected myself against greed?
How do I handle patient rejection? How have I faced malpractice?
In health care reform, for whom am I most vigorously advocating?
How am I taking biblically ethical stands in my practice?
Have I found a channel for missions service, overseas and to the rural and inner city poor?
How do I support young doctors spiritually and emotionally as they enter this world?
How can I stop and listen to what God is trying to tell me?
How much do I love Jesus?

Perhaps if these questions popped up on my calendar on the first day of each month, I would more clearly see God’s path and try to step back on it where I have slipped.

Dear God,
You know the questions you need to whisper in my ear. Speak them loud enough to sound above the roar of my busyness, so that I can choose to hear and follow.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment