Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Overloaded at Work

But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, “You are my God; my times are in your hands.” Ps 31: 14-15.

“Hey John, how have you been? “The voice was filled with cheer but I was filled with “oh, no”. I knew why he was calling. I had not yet phoned the doctors I had promised to contact to consider our spring mission trip. I was overloaded at work; one of my partners was away on sick leave; my daughter was performing regularly in gymnastics; my wife was becoming distant---and I had promised to do this thing for our local Christian doctor group. I knew I could find the time but I honestly could not find the emotional will to spend that time and get it done.

Most of us as Christian doctors are time-pressured during many of our days because we have overloaded our lives with good things. We have no time left for the unexpected, not realizing that the unexpected always comes and always demands a piece of our already overloaded lives. When overwhelmed, we usually muddle through, but without joy and without the creative energy necessary to do all things well. We know that we should have planned better, but now we are stuck with way too much and have to push ahead. How do we do it?

1. Remember
a. I am not alone. God’s Church and the Creator of the Universe are with me. Lean on both.
b. It is not I who accomplishes God’s glory; it is He.
c. He is able, with or without me.

2. Select unimportant activities to remove from my life immediately---the extra television, the less important meeting. Erase them from my schedule.

3. Plow ahead and complete my commitments, even if I do so without joy, unless God tells me clearly to let go. My integrity speaks volumes to a lost world.

4. Refuse to say “no” or “yes” to new commitments until I have spent at least 24 hours in prayer and 24 hours weighing new commitments against those already in play.

5. Prioritize so that my few most important priorities are always well maintained.

6. When out from under the stress, simplify my life by removing time junk and possession junk.

7. Surrender my time and plans to God as I head into each day for His glory.

Dear God,
Only You can get me through this time of stress. Let me hand it to You and move forward in your power for Your glory.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment