Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Unfocused

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. Heb 12:2

As a doctor I had become wealthy.


It was not what I had planned with God for my life. When I entered medical school as a Christian, it was all for God and those in need. Yet here I was with a huge home, a lake house and expensive vacations. I had scattered breadcrumbs of charity as I traveled, almost like Hansel and Gretel to find my way back to my true purpose eventually. But somewhere along the way, the birds of life had eaten the crumbs and I woke up rich.

Why do so many of us do this? Why are we so busy gathering stuff and losing our way? Enjoying this world is not bad---until we give this world the power to direct our lives.

In the 17th century, Blaise Pascal, the great mathematician and Christian philosopher, wrote a great deal about diversion. He noted that men and women are always busy seeking distractions and diversions so that they might not have to face the truth of life, a truth for which only God has the remedy.

“Being unable to cure death, wretchedness and ignorance, men have decided, in order to be happy, not to think about such things…we run heedlessly into the abyss continually putting something in front of us to stop us from seeing it.” Pensees

This is likely true for those who do not know God through Christ. Why do I spend so much time with diversions?

A great mission leader once quoted a short poem when he visited our church:

“Some people die by water;
Some people die by flames;
But most of us die, bit by bit, playing silly games.”

Dear God,
Keep me focused on You and devoted to Your purpose for my life.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment