Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Good Time to Intervene

“I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry” (Psalm 40:1, NIV 1984). 

After reviewing for me his history of melanoma, tonsil cancer and lung cancer, Jeff was describing his recent pulmonary embolus. He said that he had just walked his daughter to her car and waved “goodbye.” When he reached his porch, he knew something was really wrong. He stumbled to his chair, dialed 911 and then fell to the floor as the operator answered. She kept telling him to keep talking, but he decided to save every breath for himself. As he was passing out, he cried out,

“God, if you have any future plans for me, now would be a good time to intervene!” 

God intervening. Right! The Creator of the galaxies and the upholder of molecular pathways that keep gnats biting really has the time and inclination to intervene in a pulmonary embolus? 

Steven Hawking, probably our most brilliant living scientist, claimed no need for a God to interfere with his understanding the world. Though Hawking does not absolutely rule out a Divine Creator, he claims that, even if there is a God, "the universe is governed by the laws of science. These laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws.” 

How does this fit with my understanding of prayer?
Am I committed to the understanding that God intervenes in my life and responds to my pleas?
Can I trust Him with my prayers?

How about when He chooses His plan over mine?
As we have mentioned before: “‘Asking’ in prayer is at once the test of three things---simplicity, stupidity and certainty of God.”
                                    Oswald Chambers
 

Do I ask God simply what my heart desires without explaining to Him how to get it done?

Do I acknowledge that He understands the central need behind my ignorant request and that He knows far better than I how to achieve it?

Am I totally confident that God loves me and will accomplish His purpose---a purpose firmly grounded in both His love for me and His desire to redeem the world He loves? 

Dear God,
I cannot even voice my pleas in an intelligent fashion. But you know my heart. Let me trust in your power and your love.
Amen

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment