Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Go Figure

“For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer” (1 Peter 3:12, NIV 2011).

I was congratulating one of my patients over his recovery.
He responded, “You know, I owe it more to prayer than anything else. I’m grateful for what you did, of course.” After a slight hesitation he continued, “Did I ever tell you about my sickness as a boy? I had rheumatic fever and was really sick. I was in the bed for over a year. I was vomiting blood and couldn’t stop coughing. One day I heard the doctor in the other room, talking to my mother, ‘I don’t think that boy will be around the next time I come.’ Well, that shook me. Soon after that, Oral Roberts was on the television. I placed my hands on the screen and prayed for healing, just like he told me. I immediately started getting well.”


I never have figured out the power of prayer.
I know that God listens and does great things through our prayers---I just haven’t figured out how He does it or how He makes His decisions about our prayers.
I am surrounded each day by patients who are miracles bathed in prayer and I am surrounded by others who pray the same with no physical healing. I cannot figure it out.
I suspect that’s a good thing.
If I could figure out how to make my prayers work my way, I suspect the angels would laugh at the mess I would make. I am not bright enough. I do not love all enough. It is impossible for me to work out God’s great Love Story from my vantage point, with my intelligence, with my character.
And so I am left to pray in earnest for those I love: not knowing how God will decide, but knowing the God who will decide. He listens; He knows; He cares, He can and “He’s got the whole world in His hands.”

Dear God,
Let me open my heart to you in prayer and trust you for your best plan.
Amen

1 comment:

  1. Prayer is answered in the affirmative when we pray believing for those things that are provide for us through the redemptive work of our Lord Jesus on the cross. Believe and do not doubt is what we are told are essential elements of the faithful prayer trusting God, knowing that He is at work answering our petition the moment we begin. It is not against flesh and blood that we battle. So the manifestation of the answer to prayer can be delayed by our enemy. So continue to believe God, having faith without doubting, and receive what is yours as a child of the King!

    ReplyDelete