Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Promises

“For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and not delay” (Habakkuk 2:3, NIV 2011).

The Scripture above came across in my devotional book this morning and it swept me back three decades to the time when God called us into full-time missions. I was busy practicing internal medicine when God gave me “restless feet.” After He loosened up my feet, he spoke clearly to me at a retreat where my wife and I were counselors for young singles. It was a time of wonder. And then came the waiting. The waiting for God to move and bring His promise to pass lasted so long that I almost lost sight of the promise. Then one morning I sat with my Bible and read the verses above.

Has God ever placed a promise in your heart and then made you wait for it? I’m not talking about a promise for your happiness, but one for His glory.

Abraham was the father of three great religions, based on his faith in the God who makes promises. For how many decades did Abraham live on the promise of a son through whom he would become a great nation?
How many centuries did the Jewish people dwell in Egypt before they would realize the promise of Abraham?
How many years between God’s promises to Isaiah and Christmas?

What promises are you resting on that you see no sign of completion?
In what mission has God promised you a role, and, as of yet, has not called out your name to begin?
We all have dreams of being used by God in glorious ways, at least we do in the high spiritual moments of our lives. Sometimes those dreams are ours. But sometimes they are truly promises from God. Are we straining to hear the promise? Are we leaning into the whisper?
For my life, I have chosen to “listen hard,” to cling tightly to the dreams I see as promises, to continue pushing forward with my heart, trusting God as He tells my feet to wait, wait, wait.
“Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come.”

Dear Father,
Thank you for the promises fulfilled and the ones for which we wait.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment