Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Wisdom and Will

“But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be” (1 Corinthians 12:18, NIV 1984).

I will leave out the name of my front desk receptionist out of a deep envy for her brain.  In my office, we identify patients by the last four numbers in their social security, preceded by the first letter of their last name. We must have this information in order to access their medical records in the EMR. My office is near the front desk and I find myself, many times a day, calling out to my receptionist, “What is Mr. Kermenter’s last four?” Without looking it up, off the top of her head, she answers, “I think it is 4638.” And she is always right. If I had been given a memory like that, I could have been a really good doctor.

You ever wish that you had been born a bit different? Smaller nose? Better talker? Much better memory?
My nose is okay, but I have to repeatedly review the information I saw in that journal two weeks ago in order to provide the best care for my patients. My nurse has to remind me the name of the man who is approaching across the waiting room in time for me to greet them. I have to write down all 12 of my various computer passwords and look them up regularly to get where I want to go. I really do wish that God had given me a great memory like my receptionist, or like my wife for that matter.
What else would I change about me in order to fulfill my dreams for life?

Whoa.
My dreams or His plans?
My wisdom or His?

In his book The Meaning of Prayer, Fosdick spoke to God’s plan and my memory deficits: “The trouble with many folks is that they believe in only a part of God. They believe in his love…. They don’t believe in God’s wisdom--his knowledge of what is best for all of us, and in his will-- his plan for the character and the career for each of us.”

When will I finally understand to my very core that God has a plan that is better than mine, that He created me perfectly to fit that plan and that He knows what He is doing with my life?

Dear Father,
Help me to rejoice in the way you have made me. Let me use my strengths and my weaknesses for your glory.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment