Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Doc Knows

“Then Agrippa said to Paul, ‘Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?’ Paul replied, ‘Short time or long—I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains’” (Acts 26:28-29, NIV 2011).

Ninety-one years old, retired from a long career as the exceptional doctor, he sat talking with me, hardly able to find his thoughts. He could no longer carry on a worthwhile conversation, but I will never forget his words that day.
“Are you saved, with Jesus?” he asked.
I said I was and watched that beautiful smile spread across his face.
“Is Bowen (my son) saved?”
“He certainly is,” I answered, and again saw the smile.
“Does Steve (my brother) know Jesus?” he asked.
“Absolutely,” I answered.
Each child, each brother, each sister, my wife, one by one, he asked if each were saved. He could not remember the years in church, the times of prayer, the conversations about God, so he had to be sure. Thank God I could answer yes to all. Over and over the beautiful smile erupted and lasted until the next query.


My dad is no longer able to comprehend a great deal about the world, but he sure knows the most important thing in the world and knows what that means for those he loves.
If only I were as concerned as my father about that which matters most.
I wonder what will be the last thoughts I cling to, as I am moving toward heaven?

“My goal in life is God Himself, not joy, nor peace, nor even blessing, but himself my God.”                                                    Oswald Chambers

Dear God,
Please set my heart on fire to be sure that those I know love you.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment