Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Facing the Fading

“I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go” (John 21:18, NIV 1984).

Last Friday, I did one of the hardest things I have ever done. I entered the office of my older colleague and mentor, sat down and shared.
“You told me to tell you if you ever reached the point you were not performing well. You are not doing well.”


Someday it will be my turn.
Someday I will be unable to complete the tasks important for my sense of self worth.
Someday I will become more dependent on others than they are dependent on me.
And God will say, “This is all part of my plan. I am redeeming the world and your loss of control fits right into my plan of love. As you diminish, your failing will build character, strength, kindness, love and a focus on things that matter within those who will carry you through. In your weakness, I will be stronger than I ever would have been had you remained in your strength. Your weakness is as much a part of my plan as was your strength. Rest in my purpose. Rest in my love. Someday soon, you will be whole again.”
“Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter will glorify God. Then he said to him, ‘Follow me!’” (John 21:19, NIV 1984).

Dear God,
When it is my turn to fade, let it bring you great glory.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment