Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Diving In

“…but with God all things are possible” (Matthew 19:26, NIV 2011).

Dr. Pete Dawson is a world-renowned dentist, both professionally and as an educator who loves the Lord. We were recently leaning over a balcony rail discussing God's work in the impossible. Pete shared with me a story of his men's Bible study that had once diminished in numbers to about four in attendance.
Dr. Dawson had offered the other three this challenge, “Let’s each go out and invite someone to our Bible study whom we know will not attend.” They accepted the challenge; so Pete approached a retired, unchurched Admiral he knew.
“I want to ask you to do something for me,” Pete said.
“What's that?”
“I want you to come to our men’s Bible study.”
After a moment’s thought the Admiral responded, “I can do that. Just don’t embarrass me. I don't know anything about the Bible.”
The Admiral came and found Jesus. Many others came as well.


Ever want to stick it in the Devil’s eye? “Let’s go out and invite those we know won't come.”
When is the last time I asked God to do the impossible, or the last time I followed His will into the impossible?
One of the really gratifying aspects of prior missionary life was to find myself in the middle of the impossible and then watch God come through.
Why not here? Why not now in the normal, hardworking, family loving life of Usual City, USA? Why don't I move forward as God leads and attempt impossible things for His kingdom?
What might God want me to do now that would be highly unlikely for me to accomplish on my own?
A colleague or student who needs to know the Lord?
A mission trip with impossible impediments?
A financial offering to His service that I cannot afford?
A forgiveness without repentance?
Laying to rest a dream outside His plan?
A change in lifestyle or practice to accomplish His call?
I may need to start thinking a bit more like Pete Dawson: attempt the impossible where God leads and watch God pull it off.

Dear Father,
Let me dive into the impossible with you.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment