Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Just As I AM

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15: 5.

Kyle played the piano in church this Sunday. In his early twenties now, Kyle has had a difficult life, with both his parents dying during his teen years. His piano playing was beautiful to those of us who know him. Kyle has Down’s syndrome. The timing of his notes was a bit irregular, but he hit every key perfectly as he played, “Just as I am, I come.”

The whole point of our lives is coming to God through Jesus. Yet, sometimes I hold back.

I hold back sometimes because I am succeeding in life and feel self-sufficient in taking care of my needs.

I hold back sometime because I am too busy with my own agenda.

I hold back sometimes because I am angry and broken by life and God has not come through.

I hold back sometimes because I choose my sin over my King.

I hold back sometimes because I know I am not worthy to seek His face--- I have let Him down and can’t imagine His welcome.

Every morning, I fight through all these layers of my life and beg my God, “Let me rise up now and meet you!”

It’s the point of my life, the reason I live; and I miss that point too often. This Sunday, Kyle’s piano brought it back home.

Dear God,
Help me rise up from all that keeps me bound to self so that I may walk with you today.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment