Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nutshell Faith

Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what will I tell them?”

God said to Moses, “I Am Who I Am.” Ex 3: 13-14

CT Studd spent his life as a missionary in China and the Congo. Near the end of Studd’s life, African believers themselves began to hear God’s call to become missionaries among distant tribes. One such man was Zamu, a small man with a chronic foot injury. When Zamu was about to leave on his journey, the local Caucasian missionary was doubtful of his ability to survive.
“What about your foot, Zamu?”
“God is, White Lady.”
“But the food is so different, down there---no palm oil or salt.”
“God is, White Lady.”
“You might starve or be killed.”
“God is.”
“What about your wife?”
“She will accompany me, White Lady. God is.”
(from CT Studd: Cricketer & Pioneer by Norman Grubb)

I’m old enough that I prefer to pack my faith in little nutshells so I can remind myself readily what life is all about. Such is this brief statement from a crippled man of faith as I face my own questions and trials: God is.

What about life’s tragedies? ---God is.
What if I fail in my dreams for life? ---God is.
What if I fail in God’s mission for my life? ---God is.
What about my children? ---God is.
What about my finances? ---God is
What about my sin? ---God is.
What about my death? ---God is.

There are few questions in life that cannot be answered victoriously by these two words.
Donald Hankey once wrote, “True religion is betting one’s life there is a God.”
I’m making that bet. And I’ll carry around this nutshell to remind me that I have won.

Dear God,

Help me to be constantly aware that you are and that you love me.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment