Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Isaac

“The Lord appeared to Isaac and said, ‘Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land where I tell you to live. Stay in this land for a while, and I will be with you and bless you….’ So Isaac stayed in Gerar” (Genesis 26:2-6, NIV 2011).

I was in an educational meeting in San Diego when I received a text from one of my favorite past fellows. Out of the blue she was checking on me and letting me know how things were going in her new practice.  Melanie had been special as a very talented doctor and also special because God had placed her in my heart as one He wanted for His own. During her fellowship she just couldn’t get “the God thing.” She respected it in her patients but couldn’t figure out why it was so important. Over my three years with her we had engaged in a number of meaningful conversations about the truth of life in Christ and I had prayed daily that she would come to know our Lord; but she never committed to Him during her time under my training.
Last week, in our texting, I brought the conversation to a close with, “God be with you. Life will be great.”
She responded, “Going to church soon. My husband is on board. U would be proud.”

Most of us will know little of our influence for Christ during our lifetime. We will be Isaacs, not Abrahams, living our lives as God leads, remaining in the Promised Land, a transmitter of the blessing, without achievements for God that others might recognize. But, I believe, someday all of us will see and know the ripple effect of our lives and witness. And, I suspect, most of us will be pleasantly surprised, or even shocked, at the way God has honored our meager efforts.
It was such a moment of thanksgiving last week for me to see my past fellow moving toward the Lord and to imagine that God had worked through me somewhat in His pursuit of her. In Melanie’s case, I had done no extraordinary deeds. I was rather timid about God’s message. I simply treated her with respect and kindness, trained her well, prayed daily for her and sought moments of truth where I could feel comfortable in my temerity to place the Lord into our conversation. In spite of these meager but sincere efforts, my hope is now high that she will someday come to love Him.
For me, I’m just resting in the blessing of being present as my Lord is touching her life.

Dear Father,
Help me to remain faithful to your plan for my life. And within that plan, make me your witness in your way.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment