Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Ishmael

“…the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, ‘What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid…Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation’” (Genesis 21:17-18, NIV 2011).

A number of the doctors I have trained have been faithful followers of Islam.
I was surprised to receive an email from one such previous trainee this week. He had been one who had struggled during his training because he had started late in life when he already had major family responsibilities. But he finished well and has a good future ahead of him.
“Dear Dr.___,
As I was thanking our Creator this morning for opening up opportunities for me through this fellowship, I thought about you and your kindness and patience in supporting me despite my weaknesses over the years … and I am thankful to so many others whom I did not mention by name, but who made things possible for me despite so many shortcomings by their actions deeds, words or prayers … May Our Creator reward you for your kindness.”


This is not about me being appreciated.
This is about a man who loves God and sincerely seeks Him and approaches Him through a faith that I believe is misguided, as he believes is mine.
This is not a multiple-choice test in a theology course; this is life as it is.
Most of us know many who seek the Lord desperately on a path other than Christ with a desire that may even be greater than ours, and they live out that desire obediently and with love.
And we as followers of the Way, followers of the true King, must decide how we are to live within such a truth of life as witnesses to the Truth of Life we have found.

Is God smiling or weeping over this man’s faith?
Will the blood of our Lord save him someday?
What is my responsibility toward this young man?

Dear Father,
Help me to be faithful as your witness with your love and truth.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment