Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Work

“…And behold, I am with you always…” (Matthew 28:20, ESV).

Today was an unusual day for me, in which I had the privilege of sharing bad news and redirecting life goals with three patients, while a medical student leaned and listened against the exam room wall. After the last such conversation, I probably surprised the student by saying, “You know, though the circumstances are horrible, I actually like having these conversations. In such moments I can be the one who shares the awful truth with kindness and love. I trust myself to do this better than others, because I really care for the patients I serve. Up until now, I’ve done the work to help them live longer. Now, things have changed, but I can keep doing the work to help them live better.”

Why would any of us want to stand in the midst of suffering and make the best of it?
That’s what Jesus did.
What a privilege to walk with our Master down the same road, healing those we can in His name, loving all and making all lives better.
That’s why we went into this business, isn’t it?
Is that still the reason we are here?
Does it look like it to those who watch us?

Dear Father,
Let me walk with you into every room. Thank you for the privilege and the joy.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment